Monday, November 10, 2008

The Ayes have it

I was quite happy with the news from the United States on the 4th. In Barack Obama, the world finally has a leader who has acknowledged the problem of climate change and promised action on it. However, I am still wary about the (pseudo-)liberal political forces and I hope Obama's victory doesn't encourage the ones in Europe and India.

I was also happy that voters in California, Florida, and Arizona voted to ban same-sex marriage. Of course, homosexuals should have the right to be together and practice their lifestyle, but a marriage must be between one man and one woman. (I will detail my reasons in another post, so watch this space.) Expectedly, California's gay community have begun protesting (Whoa! isn't this supposed to be a democracy?) directing their anger at the Christian religion, as usual, but alarmingly, raising slogans like 'shame on you' directed at the 53% majority of Californians who expressed their democratic right to vote in favour of banning gay marriage.

Nowhere, except in Africa (and in India after the 2004 general election,) do people protest against the outcome of democratic processes. But I wonder if the "liberals" have the sense to realize that the people whose causes they champion (often against the majority communities/groups) are not really liberal or even democratic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home