Sunday, January 21, 2007

Right Turn

Today, I decided which way I'm gonna vote for in this year's elections for the state legislature of Goa. And my decision is an about turn from my previously held centre-leftist leanings.

The main reason I'll be voting for the far right this time is my realization that the centre-left Indian National Congress is proving to be the downfall of India.

The INC thrives on dividing people on the basis of ethnicity, religion and caste, pitting one community against another, and hoping to get support from all the communities by creating a false impression that they alone can unite India's various ethnicities and faiths.

If there is one event that prompted me to go against the INC is the fact that they incited the Muslims of Bangalore to protest the execution of Saddam Hussein. As usual, the mozzies began rioting and vandalizing the city as if Bangaloreans were responsible for what had happened to Saddam Hussein.

Whats worse is that they even get subsidized travel to Mecca for their Haj ritual, and yet, instead of being loyal, patriotic Indians put religion above nationality. The INC wants to go as far as reserving seats in educational institutions for them.

Even though I myself belong to a religious minority, I feel the years of INC rule have led to a regime in which minorities are getting unduly pampered. And I totally loathe people who put religion and misplaced religious pride above country, language, and culture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home