Friday, January 20, 2006

The first time I bunked class

It was the year 1986, can't remember the exact month and day, but it was around the time Pope John Paul II had visited India.

The KG school I attended was a little distance from across the road, from my then apartment block (which still is the first building if you enter Panaji from the South).

Mom walked me to school as usual that day. After a while, at the time the Pope's motorcade was to pass by that road, my teachers herded all of us across the road and made us wave flags as the Pope passed by.

Since we were on my side of the road, on the ground where I'd spend my evenings, my four years old, barely trained neural network associated that it was time to go back home, so I walked straight back home, only to have may dad reach me back to school. I can only guess now that my teachers must've got into big time trouble for not having a head count done.

Yes, I did bunk class for the first time in upper kindergarten!

After that I bunked a few classes in class 10 (only those there was no point in attending).

In college, I patiently sat through well above 75% (actually 95% is more like it) of the lectures. To be honest, I hated it whenever there was any strike and I'd miss lectures taken by a few of the faculty.

In IITD, were I to have bunked, as they'd say in Hindi, "main apni aukat se aage nikal jata".

I must say thank you, Your Holiness, John Paul II !

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

its worth to read ur blog escpecially ur romantic poems. i hv become a frequect visitor' of ur blog.

11:29 PM  
Blogger The ManU man said...

Thanks! U have really motivated me to post regularly.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Though I no longer believe in the authority of the Pope (or in any religion for that matter)..."

Really? You do not believe in any religion? I am curious now, what about God?

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. I misread that, it reads "you do not believe in the *authority* of any religion"...sorry.

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or should I read it that way? :-)

2:48 AM  
Blogger The ManU man said...

Yeah, that has caused a lot of stir in some circles, and confusion in general.

To clarify, I'd like to say that I don't consider myself to belong to any particular religion.

I'm an illuminatus, if you like. ;)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Soham Pablo said...

Dude....just stepped by your blog today....and it made me glad to know you share some views on me when it comes to religion.

9:50 PM  
Blogger The ManU man said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home